There are so many healing and therapeutic benefits of essential oils. That’s why they’ve been used for hundreds of years in aromatherapy. They’re derived from stems, leaves or roots of plants that have healthful properties.
However, Frankincense, which is sometimes called olibanum, is a typical essential oil that’s used in aromatherapy and provides several health benefits, such as relieving chronic anxiety and stress, increase immunity and decreasing inflammation and pain. Furthermore, it has been claimed that frankincense oil assists in the fight against cancer.
8 Benefits of Frankincense Oil
1. Aids The Reduction Of Stress Reactions and Bad Emotions
Frankincense oil has been proven to decrease high-blood pressure and heart rate when inhaled. It has the ability to reduce anxiety and depression, and it doesn’t have bad side effects or result in unwanted sleepiness like some prescribed drugs.
2. Helps increase the Immune System Function and Fight against Diseases
Research on frankincense has proven that it has the ability to enhance the immune system – therefore, getting rid of bacteria, viruses, and even cancer. At Mansoura University in Egypt, researchers performed a lab experiment and it showed that frankincense oil demonstrates strong immunostimulant action.
It could also protect the skin/mouth from germs forming on it. This is why many people use frankincense oil to naturally reduce oral health issues. This oil’s antiseptic properties could help reduce bad breath, gingivitis, toothaches, cavities, mouth sores, and many other infections
3. Cancer Fighter
Various study groups have seen that frankincense has properties for anti-inflammatory and anti-tumour when experimented on animals. The oil is proven to fight cells in some types of cancer. A study in China showed the anticancer effects of this oil with myrrh oil on 5 tumour cells arranged in a lab research. Furthermore, the results showed that skin cancer and human breast cells lines displayed an increased sensitivity when mixed with frankincense and myrrh essential oils.
4. Helps you Fall Asleep
Frankincense oil helps in reducing anxiety or chronic stress which could make you stay up all night. The oil has a relaxing, grounding smell that can help you fall asleep naturally. It also aids the opening of breathing channels and helps your body get to a proper temperature for sleeping. And helps to get rid of pains that keep you awake. (See this study.)
5. Repairs Skin and Prevents Signs of Growing Old
Frankincense can help improve and strengthen your skin, its tone, elasticity, act as a defense against blemishes and bacteria, and improve skin’s appearance as you age. It could also reduce the scars by toning and lifting the skin. Furthermore, it could help in fading stretch marks, surgical scars or scars from pregnancy, and could heal dry or cracked skin.
6. Enhances Memory
A study has shown that this oil could enhance your memory as well as learning functions. Even in some animal research, it’s shown that making use of this oil during pregnancy could enhance the memory of the offspring. In one such study, when pregnant rats were given frankincense orally during the period of gestation, it showed a noticeable enhancement in its learning abilities and the short and long-term memory of the children.
7. Makes Digestion Easy
Frankincense oil assists in the proper production and detoxification of bowel movements in the digestive system. It also reduces cramps and stomach aches, gets rid of surplus water from the stomach that could lead to bloating, relieves nausea, and even relieve stomach pains relating to PMS.
8. Helps Reduce Pain and Inflammation
Frankincense can slow down the generation of inflammatory molecules related to conditions such as asthma, arthritis, agonizing bowel disorders such as IBS, and so many other conditions. It also can help to stop the breakdown of cartilage tissues and has been proven to noticeably decrease stages of risky and painful inflammation – thus, making the oil a natural choice for conditions relating to pain that affects muscles, tendons and joints.
Recipes for Frankincense Oil DIY
Frankincense oil mixes very nicely with carrier oils such as coconut oil, jojoba oil or shea butter. It could also be mixed with other essential oils based on what you want. For instance, it mixes well with citrus oils (like frankincense oil and lemon) as a “pick-me-up.” On the other hand, it mixes with lavender oil and functions as a relaxant when those two are combined. This gives the oil versatility and offers a variety of functions to different users. You can start enjoying the benefits of frankincense oil now – just try out one of these recipes.
Body Butter for Reducing Scars
Total Time Needed To Make This: Five minutes
Makes enough for four applications.
- Ten drops of jasmine oil.
- Ten drops frankincense oil.
- Two ounces coconut oil or shea butter.
- Mixing container or jar for the ingredients.
- To turn the coconut oil into a liquid, try this. Put very hot water into a large bowl. Then put the coconut oil in a smaller dish and set in that.
- If you use the method above, you’ll ensure the oil isn’t too hot which may result in burns. After it’s melted, put in the other oils and mix them by stirring. It’s recommended that the shea butter should be a little warmer or at room temperature.
- You can apply right away if you’d like (providing it’s at room temperature). Your other option is the following process for “shelf stable”: Put the mixture in your refrigerator for a few minutes to cool. Then use a mixer and whip the mixture on high; you’ll see it turn into a white cream.
- Empty the mixture into a container or jar. Now you’ll have it to use whenever you want at room temperature without the need for further refrigeration.
Sleep-Inducing Facial Cream or Body Rub
Total Time To Mix It Up: Five minutes
Makes enough for one use.
This is a great natural night cream for falling asleep. It also functions as a skin aide when applied to your face and could help get rid of breakouts and blemishes.
- One-quarter tablespoon of organic coconut oil.
- One-half teaspoon of olive oil.
- Five drops of frankincense essential oil.
- Five drops of lavender essential oil.
- One mixing container or jar for the ingredients.
- If the coconut oil is not already soft, use the method described above. Put some very hot water into a bowl. Then put the hard coconut oil in a smaller dish and set that in the bowl of hot water to soften.
- Mix it up by stirring it with the other oils and then apply it over your face and body. To avoid the oil staining your sheets, try patting the oils into your skin after a few minutes. If you have any left over, you can store it for future use.
Can’t get rid of hunger cravings?